Monday, November 24, 2008

First week

Before I forget, don't forget to check out the Williams' blog -- blog.hhim.us -- for some pictures of Heather and me during our first week at the clinic.

I've been here over a week now and it's beginning to feel like home.  I'm getting into a routine here at the clinic and it's seeming easier to talk to patients.  I'm learning new words every day (today I learned Band-Aid, why I didn't know this before, I'm not sure).  The highlight today was assisting in a procedure for a tumor in the back of someone's head.  My job was to shave a patch of hair off and then dab the wound with gauze.  

Yesterday Heather and I ventured into La Ceiba for the first time by ourselves and it was fun to walk around and explore a little.  It took us a little over an hour to take the bumpy bus ride down the mountain and into town.  We enjoyed an authentic Honduran breakfast of coffee and baleadas, which are tortillas with beans, cheese and egg.  We also bought leeches from a roadside vendor who showed us how to pop off the tops to chew on the fruit inside.  Later in the day we called Heidi, a Norwegian friend we met last week at the women's Bible study, and she met up with us for coffee and pastries at a bakery owned by an American lady who also goes to the Bible study.  I was quite happy to indulge in my first chocolate purchase in Honduras, a chocolate-filled croissant -- yum!  

No comments: