Sunday, March 29, 2009

I'm a Teacher?

A couple months ago, a week before school started, I found out I would be a 9th grade English teacher.  So far we have learned classroom commands ("Underline the word.", "Pass out the papers.", etc.), cardinal and ordinal numbers, the alphabet and the vowels, 5 different verbs, and pronouns.  I know this because I just wrote their first major test today -- it's exam week this week since they're off the whole week next week for Semana Santa (Holy week).
A couple weeks ago it was Father's Day in Honduras -- the students had a special day where they had a program with dramas, special songs, traditional dances, etc. and also each classroom chose and cooked a meal for the dads that could come (about 30 out of 140) for the afternoon.
Some of my students -- Katy, Martín, Walter, Marlon and José Daniel.  I have 2 classes every morning of 39 students total.  In the first week of class I had them choose English names which ranged from the ever-so-popular Brittney, to an English pronunciation of their original name (i.e. "EL-veen" --> Elvin or "KAH-tee" --> Katie, etc.) but the most unique being Mainor's insistence on being called "Barack."

No comments: